Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas week

Merry Christmas Family

Sorry about last week, it was disheartening to see that you weren’t going to see any of the e-mail I penned last week. It was a good one, but no problem, hopefully this one works out...

So, It was really nice to hear your voices today on the test call, I never realized how easy it was to just call across the world. Life here in India is going well, I’m finding missionary work to be really fun, there are so many people to meet and the members here are great. I have made good friends with a few of them actually. One of them, Sri Kant, is like 21 and he is the smartest kid that I have ever met and he is so good for exchanges. I am trying to convince him to leave on his mission as soon as he can. Maybe I'll get to train him!

This past week was good, except for my companion being so sick. He was seriously on his death bed for like two days in a row. He is still pretty sick actually, but he did get out of bed for e-mail so that is pretty lucky for me. I’m trying my best to take care of him, and make sure he gets better. Last night I was trying to think of what Mom would do if it was me that was sick. Ha but I couldn’t really remember what she would do. We gave him a blessing and I think that he will be getting better any time now.

We were able to meet with Singh a few times and he came to all our ward activities, except CHURCH! It was a little frustrating, because that means we have to postpone his baptism another week, hopefully he will gain a stronger testimony of church. This week I have a good lesson about the sacrament prepared and I hope that the spirit will testify the importance of that ordinance. He is still a great guy, and his wife is so good. Only she just can’t understand english that well, or hardly at all actually. We have a few others who are close to baptism. I know that they will come soon, there are still so many people out here that have been prepared and I know they are just waiting to be found, taught and baptized. Speaking to the Indians is getting a little better for me. For the most part they are able to understand me, or at least I think so...

Yesterday we had an incredible experience. We were called to an apartment that is opposite to a member. There was a four year old girl, and apparently she was possessed. Her mother was talking to us about it, and telling us how she would have outrageous outbursts when the night came. But, at that time she was relatively calm. I looked in her eyes and I could just feel that there was a darkness there; I sensed that something was there. We sat her down to give her a blessing and she began to cry, I anointed and Siyyadri sealed. It was amazing; the spirit truly spoke through him. He said that whatever was within the little girl to come out. After the blessing I looked at the girl and literally there was a light replaced in her eyes. It was so cool to have an experience like that. It helps me to further realize that we truly are at war with satan and his forces, but more importantly it helped me to realize how much stronger the priesthood is than any power that he has.

Anyway, that’s it for the general epistle this week.

(below are excerpts from individual letters to family)

…Christmas time out here is a lot different than back home. Christ is certainly not the center of attention at this time of year. The christians will celebrate but there are so few that it’s hardly making a noticeable difference. To tell you the truth it does not feel any different than any other time of year out here.

…I love to think about how I have friends all over the world right now doing the same thing I am. It is such a comforting thought. I know that the work we are doing is making such a big difference and I am so glad we all get to be a part of it.

…We will still be proselyting on christmas day, but we have a party in the morning and at night I told you were going to President Guti's house. So that will be good. But I think christmas will be a great day to get work done in between functions.

…there are so many monkeys around right now, but you have to be careful because they will steal your food and run away if you don’t pay attention.

No comments: